Introducing Broody Hen back to flock with Chicks....

chickens really

I am a legend
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Sep 8, 2015
The Funny Farm....Alberta, Canada
I have read so many threads on this subject.....

I must have the best flock of Chickens in the World???

I put My Hen and Chicks that are almost 5 weeks back into the flock...No one beat my Hen or Chased the Chicks....It is all diet and management....I yap about it lots...;)..I think I am right?.....My Birds are fantastic.....lol.....Try and argue that ?

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have no troubles either unless the broody hen is a lower ranking member of the flock. Higher ranking hens don't get bothered. Having plenty of space also will usually ensure there's no behavioral problems within a flock.

If you want an argument, than I will state that my flock is the best because there's not much managing going on and they get a diverse diet.

There's always a best way, everyone needs to find that way for their flock and their set up. My way doesn't necessarily work for everyone and vice versa.

Exactly....I'm pretty much let my Birds do as birds do......I feed well and free range a few hours a day.....Pearl is a mid to lower ranked Hen....Today The Rooster fed the Chicks...He tidbit to them along with the Hen.....

I have great Chickens....

Cheers!

Last edited:
Also Pearl started laying eggs and losing interest in the chicks....To give them the best chance in transitioning into the flock I new Pearl would still be a good Mom as they transition.....All is Great...She still cuddles them if they cry and will leave them alone for periods of time as she goes outside....

I'm happy it is going so well....It was time to do it.....;):)

I have a couple of roosters that care for the chicks too. It's a nice thing to see. Chickens doing chicken things. Sounds like a happy flock.

I have a couple of roosters that care for the chicks too. It's a nice thing to see. Chickens doing chicken things. Sounds like a happy flock.

Yes, so nice to actually see them act and do the natural Chicken things...If a flock is happy and healthy, they do great...

Thanks for responding.....

Cheers!

I just went to check on the Chicks before we leave to the Dump.....The one Chick popped out from my Speckled Sussex and she has never been broody at all.....I guess she likes the Chicks?.....;)...So neat to see how if given the chance, they all just fall into step, a natural flock.....

So COOL........

Cheers!

That is cool, chick aggression isn't a normal behavior in a flock. Chicks should be reminded occasionally of their place but never attacked, or chased. Space, space and more space makes every thing better when it comes to chickens.

That is cool, chick aggression isn't a normal behavior in a flock. Chicks should be reminded occasionally of their place but never attacked, or chased. Space, space and more space makes every thing better when it comes to chickens.

Yes, and not interfering in the natural dynamics of a flock of birds.....They can only be as good as we allow them to be... I never interfere ....The Chicks have the entire Flock excited about the new arrivals....I hope it all goes this great when I introduce Alice and her 7 into the coop in a few weeks?....It should as my Birds all like these Chicks....

Thanks....Nice chatting with you......

Last edited:
Sounds like you flock is growing already. I have a few more months to wait before it is warm enough for me to have more chicks. Enjoy them. It's fun to watch them grow up right in the flock. Thank you back.

Back
Top Bottom