Introducing Call Ducks to your flock?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by EmAbTo48, Jul 28, 2011.

1. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have 2 pekins, 2 mallards, and 2 mixes (not sure what they are, they are the size of the Pekins)

I am in the process of getting 2 call ducks only a month old from a lady off craigslist. She doesn't know the sex of either yet. I am just wondering do you think my ducks will except that young of ducks or would they have to be seperated? Also I know call ducks are MUCH smaller breed then the ducks I have, when they are brought together will they get hurt? Will my drakes hurt them??

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have four Cayugas and two call ducks. The calls are pretty fast at getting away from the Cayugas.....

Otherwise, they all hang together just fine.

3. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    yes that will be a problem, build a large hutch for them and put some hay for them to get off the wire. calls should be kept off ground

4. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Quote:What? I don't have my ducks on wire.. they free-range and then have a coop for night time. Can't calls free-range? I am confused [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:What? I don't have my ducks on wire.. they free-range and then have a coop for night time. Can't calls free-range? I am confused [​IMG]

Mine range freely, too....

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    My calls would fly and possibly never be seen again. Not something I am willing to risk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by