Introducing chickens/roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by my3chickens, Aug 2, 2010.

1. my3chickens

my3chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    Need some advice. I currently have 2 roosters and 1 hen (got 3 chicks, thinking they were all girls!!). For the most part the roosters get along fairly well, not sure if that will change as they get older, but one of them has started "mating" the hen several x's a day. I am going to get 2 more hens tomorrow, can't get more than that because I have a really small coop. Finally I get to the question..... what is the best way to introduce them to mine when I bring them home? and do u think that 2 roosters and 3 hens will be an okay ratio of males and females, I know it's not ideal but hoping it will work.

Thanks!

2. Keens2050

Keens2050 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Narvon, PA
    I am new to this chicken business but I can tell you that if you are getting chickens you need to quarantine them. This is what I was told when I wanted to introduce a rooster to my 8 hens. That means keeping them separated for a month. Not even the same airspace (airborne diseases). I know it sounds harsh - it did to me - but it also makes sense. You wouldn't want to see all your others die because of a dumb virus. Also, I think the two roosters will have problems - that's why we got a rooster - sister-in-law had two and when they got to be about 4 months old, they started fighting. Also, 3 hens to 1 rooster probably isn't enough. If he is pesty, he could have them torn up pretty good by only having 3 to go after instead of 6 or more.

3. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Quote:ALWAYS QUARANTINE.
    After 4 weeks you can begin by letting them range together in the daytime and cooping them at night. There will be lots of squabbles for power but they will sort it out eventually.

4. my3chickens

my3chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    Thanks for the great advice everyone!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by