Introducing chicks from 2 "batches".....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MommaK6, Apr 17, 2012.

1. MommaK6

MommaK6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    I have 8 5 week old "big" chickens (EEs, RIR, Speckled Sussex, etc) and just brought home 10 bantams on Friday.........when it is time (when is time??) how do I go about bringing the flocks together??

Out of curiosity, I took the new babies in their box to the bigger hens.....they immediately went to peck them so my hopes of having 'special' chickens was out.They have all been "introduced", one at a time, to the newest chicks though. My scrawniest one from the first batch made herself at home and went under the heat lamp the others all jumped back into my lamp, stayed plastered to the edge of the brooder or inspected the new territory but were startled by the little ones going near them. The big ones are still in the house (yes, the chicken dust is starting to get a little ridiculous, lol, as are the random wandering chickens we have found more than once in the last 2 days) in our laundry room on the mainfloor and the little babies are upstairs in my son's room.

So.....how do I do this? Should I try to keep the big ones inside until the little ones can go out with them so they don't establish their territory prior to the bantams coming? Should I keep giving eat hen her time with the new babies, a little at a time with my direct supervision? Very new to this and didn't really think about this aspect beforehand.........

2. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    This is partly personal experience and partly what I've read here: I'd keep your flocks separate until your newbies are maybe half grown. You could section off the run so they could see each other and get used to each other. Then let them free range under supervision, then put the newbies in the coop when it's dark. They'll still have to sort things out, but they should do fine.

I don't know how much you'll gain by bringing your big girls in one at a time.

Have fun, post pictures :D

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there a way that you can house them side by side for a while so they get used to each others company with just simple wire between? I find this is the best way and then allow them together with supervision. Have plenty of room helps a lot and also it helps if there is separate food dishes so there isn't any competition.

4. GardenGal

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Duh! Great advice, peep. I forgot about that 'cause I don't have extra room in the coop.

5. MommaK6

MommaK6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Please don't fall over dead....but we arent going to have a run for our chickens. I'm doing it like we did it when I was little....a coop for them at night (in my case it is an old stone smokehouse) and they totally free range during the day.

The big girls are in Hotel De Duct tape in my laundry room (Read: free ranging my house, pooping all over the laundry room and bathroom that's attached) and they roost on the baby gate sectioning them off from my living room....LOL) and the wee ones and ducklings are in a pool upstairs in my son's room. Think maybe I could put my wee babies in a metal cage, and put the cage in by the big girls? They will be close, but my big girls won't be contained?

6. GardenGal

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    What about setting up a temporary chicken wire run for the babies so they can scratch near the bigger chickens?

I free range our chickens for about 4 hours each day, but even with supervision have had some really close calls. Every environment is different though, so whatever works for you and your chickens is the right thing thing to do. Not my business :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by