Introducing chicks into coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by featherednest, Feb 11, 2013.

1. any suggestions for introducing chicks into an existing coop with 2 hens and roo?
    In the past I have put a small pen with new hens nearby to acclimate them to one another this has worked sometimes, but these are smaller and I am wondering what others have done?

2. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    We had them in a separate section, separated by chain link, for a couple weeks so they could see each other. Then we started opening it for an hour a day for several days, so they could hang out together under supervision. When we did merge them it went quite smoothly.

3. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    I have mine in grow out pens in the coop/barn. The older chickens and roosters are around these pens all the time, however when I let the younger ones out they still get picked on. I even wait until they are about the same size. The picking doesn't last long, so I have been just letting them work it out.

4. Gargoyle

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    They've been working it out without our help for a few thousand years, so...

[​IMG]

5. Dean W

Dean W Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2013
    Central Texas
    I have some younger ones I just released from a pen adjacent to the coop. They do need to stay out of the way of the older hens though. The hens will peck them and the younger ones will make a noise and run off. The roosters don't seem to mess with them yet. And at night they go to their separate sleeping quarters. That is until I lock the young ones out of their baby cage. LOL![​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  6. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    You couldn't be more right!!

7. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Any technique in introduceing a group of chicks to a brand new coop

8. Gargoyle

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    mine seem to figure things out pretty quickly. I'll dip their beaks in the water so they know where it is, and if they're little I put them on the roost in the daytime so they know where it is, but then they explore every nook and cranny.

9. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank u I was thinking of doin just that!!

10. Meld75

Meld75 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Arenzville, Illinois
    How long do u leave chicks in the coop before letting them range when u first put them out in the coop? Want to make sure they know that's home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by