Introducing chicks of a different age to hen

callsign222

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 4, 2011
I have a Golden Wyandotte hen who has successfully hatched out two Cookoo Maran chicks two weeks ago. She is a doting and gentle mother, but unfortunately some weasel type got into the coop a few nights ago and killed one of the chicks. I have moved her and the remaining chick into the garage until I can figure out the predator threat.

Meanwhile, I am about to pick up three 1-week-old Wyandotte chicks. It would be much easier for me to have my hen take care of them. I would like to introduce them to the hen and have her adopt them. Obviously I am up against several obstacles-- the Wyandotte chicks are already a week old, and she has a two-week old chick of her own already, not to mention how the chicks will get along with each other.

My plan is to introduce them as one would introduce day old chicks to a broody hen-- box of chicks nearby where she can hear the chirping, slide them underneath later in the dark. Hope for the best. If she kicks them out I will have a box w/ heat lamp at the ready. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips to make this go smoothly? Not a normal maneuver, I know, but it would simplify my life if she takes them up.

Constructive thoughts are appreciated.

Since I have no ideas yet-- Here she is pre-attack with her two chicks.

I attempted to introduce them in the day, and she did not like the newcomers and pecked them out. I have just slipped them underneath now in the dark, and so far..... so good...

Back
Top Bottom