Introducing chicks of diff ages?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amcstay, Nov 8, 2008.

1. amcstay

amcstay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Hi all,
    I read past posts and just wanted to clarify a few things. I have 3 1.5 month of chicks (2 Anconas and 1 Red Star). I really wanted an Ameruacana when I got these and wasn't able to get one. Now, some friends are placing an order for chicks and I have a chance to get one.

When she gets here my original 3 will be about 2 months old. They are already living outside in their coop. The new one would be inside for the first week 24/7 then I was thinking I could take her outside to "see and be seen" by the others for a few mins each day until she could spend full days outside in a wire cage. I was going to put her wire cage near the run so she would have her own area but still be near the others.

Is this a good idea? How long should I wait before I put her into the run with the big girls during the day and how will I know when it is alright to leave her outside at night with them? I work during the day, so I don't think I want to stick her in the run, not in her cage, when I'm not there - at least not until I know she is alright with them.

So far the 3 seem very docile. I can't really tell who is boss among my 3. I do know who is low man on the totem pole. The other 2 (the anconas) seem to switch back and forth. How doI know which one to watch out for?

Will this work? Can I hope for a relatively stress free introduction if I do it this way?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We do this with our chicks all the time. We constantly have new ones that get transitioned in. Your idea will work just fine. We built a transition pen inside our larger pen so that they could all get used to each other. After most of the newness wears off, which is about a week, then we let out the new ones while we are right there. I have a leaf rake that I use for hearding and seperating should there be a confrontation. There is always the pecking order type stuff but usually very little fighting. Introduce them on a day when you are going to be home. Preferably introduce in the evening just before they go to roost. Then they can sleep together all night and in the morning it is like they have always been there. It is usually the Roos that go after the new ones the worst. Just watch and if need be do it over a couple of days and you should be fine.

3. amcstay

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks so much.
    I see you are in FL, do you know anyone there that sells EEs - in case I can't get my chick for some sad reason? I really want blue or green eggs- isn't that crazy?

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    amcstay, welcome to BYC! Guess what??? I grew up on St Croix, East End by Teague Bay! I have EE hen, with about nine chicks hatched. Do you have an incubator? I will send you eggs when you are ready. I would be PROUD to have my chickens have a home on St Croix!!! PM me more details about yourself!!! I would LOVE to hear from you.
    Patty

5. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello amcstay
    We are watching an ameracauna hatch right now and have 2 more pipping and 3 that should hatch tomorrow. First real run of our own ameracauna eggs through the bator. I could also send eggs if needed.

6. amcstay

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Ok, on the chance of sounding dumb.. what is pipping?

I need to see what happens with the order my frineds are placing before I do anything, but I will keep you in mind if they can't get me one. Thanks so much!

7. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

The only thing that I would add to this is that maybe you should get two instead of one.
    I think its always better to be able to introduce more than one at a time.
    I think when other chickens see one newcomer they are rougher on her than if she had a friend with her.
    I went through this just this weekend, someone gave me a little cochin pullet, someone else gave me two younger EEs.
    The EEs were accepted just fine when they were allowed to mix but the cochin has been terrorized.
    Now tonight I put 2 wyandottes in with the same group that had been terrorizing the cochin and there was not one squabble.
    Also, getting more than one helps keep the chick from getting lonely during her quarantine.
    Just throwing in my two cents, don't know if this has been anyone else's experinece though.
    Good luck with your new chick :)or chicks.[​IMG]

8. amcstay

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Ha ha! [​IMG] I can just imagine the look on my husband's face when I tell him we are going t have 5 chickens instead of just the original 3 we had planned on! I think if he was ok with it I'd go for 2 more but it was hard enough convincing him to go for 2 let alone 3!

9. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

I always introduce them in reverse. I introduce one larger chick to the smaller . Usually the last of the pecking order that I add first. After a day or two they get bonded to hang out. Then I add a few more then the top chick on the pecking order last.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I think you are on the right track. When you do put them together just watch closely at first.
    I used a 1/2"x 1" wire brooder that snakes, rats and other critters can't get into. I use a brooder lamp until they get their feathers to keep them warm. I start out at keeping the brooder at 95 degrees and reduce it 5 degrees evey week. When my little girls were about a month old I moved the brooder into a shed which has been made into a nursery coop. It has everything but nest boxes. At about 4 months the little girls get introduced to the big girls and are allowed to free range together and then they get moved into the big coop which has nest boxes. I keep a red light on 24/7 in both of my coops. When the little girls were about a week old I built a small run for the little girls next to the big girls. The big girls would come over and look at them then run away. It was soooo funny to see. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by