Introducing chicks of different ages...

1hotchickymama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 12, 2012
Here is what I have so far - Adults (4) 2yr old Hens and 1 Rooster, age unknown. Teens, 1 White Americana about 12 weeks old and 1 Wynondote about 10 weeks old. The Americana is definitely on top chicky here. Babies, 1 silky 6 weeks and 1 RIR 6 weeks, these guys are wonderful together. The adults free range and go in thier own coop at night, the teens are in a separate coop with a small run and the babies are in a large rabbit type hutch which we move outside during the day and at night they go in the garage with a light.

The other day, I tried to introduce the babies to the teens and the American instantly went after my RIR baby so I separated them. So I tried to put the Americana with the adults outside thinking since she was a bully maybe she'd do better with the adults, not hardly. The roo ignored her but one of the other hens went straight for the throat and took a big chunk of feathers out, the other hens didn't have a chance to notice her before I put everyone back were they were.

I really don't like having three separate cages for them and would prefer them all to free range together. How can I make this happen peacefully? I had no idea it would take so long to integrate everyone and getting chicks in the winter has been hard as my husband is tired of chickens in garage.

Hello! I love your avatar, is that a Silver Penciled Rock? FABULOUS! I'm getting about 12 SPR chicks this weekend!

Anyhow, this is the real hard part about raising chickens. If you can put the babies with the teens, yet separating them to they can see eachother but the older ones can't attack, that sometimes makes it easier.

Or, wait until the babies are closer to the size of the teens, and then just put them together. There will be some fighting and bullying, but it will subside.

I personally don't put chickens together until they're about the same size. Then I just put them together and let them hash it out. One thing that's helpful, is putting some things in the run that your newer chicks can hide behind, plus making sure even the newbies get all the food and water that they need during the transition.

Thanks, I thought it was a Silver Laced Wyandotte but I could be wrong. Found it on Pinterst, LOL.

Thats the thing I did have the teens and babies in wire cages right next to each other day and night for weeks. I first tried putting them all in my extra coop together last weekend and that is when the one went after the baby so I moved the babies back to the wire cage in the garage. The Americana bullies the other teen as well but had never hurt her and they sleep on top of each other, its actually kind of cute. The Americana grew fast, she is twice as big as the wyandotte teen and probably three times the babies.

Guess I'll just keep them separated until they get bigger. At what age do chicks typically reach adult size?

Back
Top Bottom