Introducing Chicks to a Hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenrookie16, Aug 11, 2010.

1. chickenrookie16

chickenrookie16 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    how do you introduce chicks to a hen?
    and how do you know if she accepted or rejected them?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Deleted mssg.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I am going to disagree. I have given chicks to broody hens several times, and it has always worked out very well for me BUT, I'm also very careful about when/how I do it.

1) Let the hen be broody for a few weeks first - it's best if you can wait for the 3 weeks it would take her to hatch her own eggs

2) Bring the chicks in at night when the hen is asleep. I will usually introduce them from the back (under her tail) if possible, just so it's not so obvious that this was is a "foreign" chick.

3) Watch for 30 minutes or so. If she's not pecking at them, or trying to get them out from under her, she's probably accepted them.

Good luck!

4. Kajunbanty

Kajunbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    I also disagree with chicmom and agree with Springchickens to some point.

The hen has to be a broody but not for 3 weeks, I have given chicks to a broody who has been setting for only a couple days.

I agree you have to do it at night in the dark, just slipt them under her and stand back and watch for a bit. If she doesn't peck them or move off the nest to get away from them I think you will have success.

I would be sure that once daylight comes to check them out again and see if shes trying to teach them to eat and drink.
    Bantams make great moms of any kind of chick.

5. kingdr85

kingdr85 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    I agree...I've seen this done many times before with great results. Make sure you do it at night and try to keep the chick quiet before you put them under the hen.

6. chickenrookie16

chickenrookie16 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    thanks guys
    but why at night?

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, guys, that's good to know........I am mistaken. [​IMG]

8. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Quote:At night works best because she's more subdued. If she tries to peck at you during the day, she won't at night. She'll also be more accepting of the chicks which just "hatched".

During the day might work too, but I've never been brave enough to try it. I convinced my last hen that 13 chicks hatched from one golf ball!! [​IMG]

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  9. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

My kids were given a banty chick this spring and our existing flock did NOT appriciate her at all! We put her in a smaller cage (cat carrier) so she could come in the garage on cooler nights and in the rain, and we could put the carrier in the run with the other girls. It took a looong time (longer than I would have expected) but they finally let her in their little club. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by