Introducing chicks to broody--advice needed!

chickle

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 7, 2015
MA
I'll start with a disclaimer: I know this wasn't the best way to do this! But, my mother just bought me 3 chicks to give to my broody hen. (She thought she was helping!)
She's going to set up a brooder for them until I get out of work and can figure out what to do with them. My question is about the best way to separate mommy and babies from the rest of the flock. I have an 8x8 shed-shaped coop, with nest boxes raised off the floor. I don't think the babies should go into the nest box, as that would be far to fall and they couldn't get back in. Would I be better off sectioning a part of the coop (wouldn't have access to the run), or using a large dog crate (I can build a mini-run)? Any tips are greatly appreciated, since I am unprepared!!

You don't have to separate them from the flock. If she accepts them, she'll protect them from the other birds.
It is easiest to do at night when she's sitting tight. Usually, if the chicks are too old, they won't necessarily take to her.
How you handle the nest is up to you. If you move her nest now, she may not sit tight.
Unless the nest is over 18 inches from the floor, I wouldn't worry. If you're concerned, build a couple steps by adding blocks of wood or bricks/stones in front of the nest.
I once was going to build a ramp for newly hatched chicks. The nest was about 18" above the floor and before I could get it done, the chicks had already left the nest and then jumped back in so I didn't worry about them.

Ok, I can totally pile up some little steps! Kind of duh for me, didn't think of that, whoops! I think I'll block off a space for them until I'm sure she's protective, and it will be helpful for keeping the chick feed separate, too. Thanks for the advice!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom