introducing chicks to chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kristielyoga, Sep 23, 2011.

1. kristielyoga

kristielyoga New Egg

Sep 23, 2011
    Hi all! I have a friend who also got chicks from a mutual friend's farm and incubated them two weeks earlier than we did. I was going to bring her (our chick) back to the farm, but my friend who lives closer has suggested she take our baby (we don't have space to keep her but we love her so!) since she lives closer and is going to keep her two to have backyard chickens. We have been wondering what is the best age and the best method of introducing them. We would like to keep our chick at our house as long as possible. Thanks for any insights!

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I would try to introduce them as young as possible that way they get used to each other easier. my 2 month old chicks dont bother my one month olds because we started letting them be around each other at a very early age. good luck!

3. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I'm trying to get my 6 week olds chicks to be merged with my 10 week old ones. I say the younger they are the easier the merger will go. There may still be some pecking as they put together some sort of order, but at least the big ones won't be too big for the babies. They grow very quickly. [​IMG]

4. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    As soon as you can. I merged my 3 and 6 weeks old last week and they are doing great. A little shoving from the older "teenagers", but nothing mean so far. [​IMG] They seem to be eatting in shifts as to not get in the olders ones way, but at night they all snuggle together on the roost!! [​IMG]

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  6. kristielyoga

kristielyoga New Egg

Sep 23, 2011
    Thanks all! It's so great to find this forum for some advice of those who have been there. So if we start introducing them this upcoming week (mine would be 1 1/2 weeks and hers would be 3 weeks and 2 weeks), do you think once a week play dates until they are all ready to merge would be helpful? Do they even have a memory long enough to remember eachother? Also, I heard if we both put a bit of apple cider vinegar in their water then they would all smell the same to eachother. DOes anyone know anything about that? Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by