Introducing chicks to coop with my older chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redneck farmer, Mar 16, 2013.

1. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I need advice introducing my chick an turkey to my other chickens but my other chickens don't seem to like them what should I do

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    How old is the chick and turkey?

I find that if they aren't at least 12 to 16 weeks old, they need to be kept separate until they are old enough to either run, or defend themselves.

3. redneck farmer

I don't have the time or space for that.. They chick an turkey will be 3 to 3 1/2 weeks old in the other chickens will be 10 to 11 weeks old..

4. redneck farmer

When they go in the coop

5. SthTxFarmGurl

SthTxFarmGurl New Egg

Mar 30, 2012
    Chickens establish a 'pecking order' in doing so they usually make sure the youngest or smallest is 'last'! if you can possibly put some wire between the 2 age groups where they can still see each other and get used to each other a weeks like that they should be able to coexist. Yet the pecking order will still be there.

6. SthTxFarmGurl

SthTxFarmGurl New Egg

Mar 30, 2012
    ** A few weeks** (with the wire)

7. redneck farmer

I was thinking if building a play pen that all of them could go in ( witch would be an unfamiliar place to both age groups plus I would use treats with the play pen!
    Would that work? Cause if every time the old chicks see the new ones they would get a treat for positive influence!?!

8. SthTxFarmGurl

SthTxFarmGurl New Egg

Mar 30, 2012
    Sounds like a plan! I am working toward the same goal, yet my new hens are a year younger than my current ones. It will prove to be interesting to say the least. I gave a treat of raisins yesterday to them. I am hoping that treats will encourage them to all get along, but I'm not holding my breath.

9. redneck farmer

Go check out my https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/755507/chicken-play-pen-duel-purpose/0_40#post_10706293
    Thread I built that play pen y'all might like it an I say how it's used for intro new chicks to your flock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by