Introducing chicks to ducks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jesscawcaw, Mar 18, 2013.

1. jesscawcaw

jesscawcaw Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    Manchester, UK
    I tried searching this and couldn't find exactly the answers I want so forgive me if it's already posted elsewhere.
    I have 3 brand new 2 day old cream legbars and 2 year old white Campbell ducks. Now if I had my way I'd let everyone live inside harmoniously but the wife says no.
    The chicks have a rather cushty set up in the spare room and i plan to keep them there as long as I can. When would be a normal time to introduce them to my ducks outside. Hopefully it'll be warm here in sunny England in two months or so.

Now the other issue I have is that my ducks are bossy. They chase the chihuahua if given the chance and don't take any sass from neighbourhood cats.

If anyone has ever done this please let me know of your experiences I would be very grateful

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    You should probably wait until the chicks are comparable in size to the ducks so they will stand a better chance if they are bossed around.

3. jesscawcaw

jesscawcaw Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    Manchester, UK
    I thought that but then I'd have chickens inside for months. My ducks are fatties tipping the scales at 3kg each. I think I might try partitioning the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by