Introducing chicks to each other.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TripMomma, Feb 7, 2015.

1. TripMomma

TripMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2015
    Oregon
    My original 4 girls have been with me for 1 week. Today I went back to the feed store I got them from and got one more that was in their original shipment. So they were together, then I took 4 of them away, and now a week later I am adding one more of that group back in.

I thought the intro started well, a couple of my girls pecked at the newbie a bit, she pecked back a few times too. They all took a nap next to each other a couple times, but another time the newbie was off by herself napping when my 4 were in another area napping. My girls don't seem to be hunting her down or hounding her and beating her up...but the original 4 are of course more bonded. The newbie is acting a little reserved, like she doesn't want to draw too much attention. She is eating and drinking...even gets in next to my girls to eat at the same time.

Does this sound like things are going well, and should be OK? How long will it likely take her to be fully accepted?
    Thanks!

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    She may just be at the bottom of the pecking order. Sounds like things are going perfectly normal. Just keep an eye out for bulling. As long as she is not being injured, I would say all is fine.

3. TripMomma

TripMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2015
    Oregon
    Thanks!

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Very welcome. Keep me updated on the progress please[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by