Introducing chicks to mama hen with chicks of her own

Krisimanole

Hatching
Sep 30, 2019
Hello!!
I had a hen we call Georgia, she hatched two chicks about 8/10 days ago. We wanted to grow our flock and the only thing available were chicks about 4/7 days old. I purchased 7 of them and after reading I went to the coop at night and introduced them to mama Georgia. She was making a warning noise and pecked me twice. I was not in an angle to do the old trick of swiping the chicks across her behind so her sent was on them so i put them all in front of her and she pecked two. After she pecked two I got scared and had the new chicks come back towards me. Again I placed them in front of her and she was making that “growling” noice and stopped and allowed them to go under her for warmth and she calmed down. I placed my hand in front of her and she pecked me.
My question is, did she accept them or should I be worried? I want to wake up really early and check just Incase but hesitant that she might of killed them.
Any ideas that she accepted them? And should I keep them closed in the coop with water and food tomorrow?
Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks! Krisi. M

Hello!!
I had a hen we call Georgia, she hatched two chicks about 8/10 days ago. We wanted to grow our flock and the only thing available were chicks about 4/7 days old. I purchased 7 of them and after reading I went to the coop at night and introduced them to mama Georgia. She was making a warning noise and pecked me twice. I was not in an angle to do the old trick of swiping the chicks across her behind so her sent was on them so i put them all in front of her and she pecked two. After she pecked two I got scared and had the new chicks come back towards me. Again I placed them in front of her and she was making that “growling” noice and stopped and allowed them to go under her for warmth and she calmed down. I placed my hand in front of her and she pecked me.
My question is, did she accept them or should I be worried? I want to wake up really early and check just Incase but hesitant that she might of killed them.
Any ideas that she accepted them? And should I keep them closed in the coop with water and food tomorrow?
Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks! Krisi. M
usually if I'm introducing chicks under a broody I stay and watch for at least 2 hours, it's a good sign she let them under her, but broodies are very unpredictable too.
If she accepted them and all is good in the morning let her do her thing. without moving stuff around to much.

From my experience it may have been too long after mama hen hatching her own chickies to introduce the new ones. You really want to do this sort of thing in the day or so after hatching if possible. Every hen is different though. Keep a VERY close eye on the newcomers!

Just like above keep an eye on her. If she is a good broody they will be fine. Some will accept them others won’t.

Here is a little hope....... I have a broody who hatched one chick. I had 6 chicks (got them then she went broody), that by the time the little one hatched were three weeks old... well she took them in without any interference, they were already doing great on their own but she decided one wasn’t enough. The little one is now 4 weeks and she is still mothering them. Lol.

What I have the most luck with when adopting chicks to a hen is taking one of her babies where she sees it in my hand. Then I grab one of the adoptees and put both of them back at the same time, regardless of whether she can see them or not, lather rinse repeat. If a hen doesn’t have chicks, I keep the little one I’m putting under her in my hand with my palm towards me so she can’t see the baby. That has worked before also but not as well as when momma hen already had some babies (although I do suppose it could have been the hens in question)

THank you so much everyone!!
She did not take well to them and didn’t harm them so they are alive but this morning she left them all and then to back for her own and started pecking them. I removed them and a I’ll just raise them raise them till they are able enough to go outside go outside!
I really appreciate everyone’s recommendations!!

Ooh! Do keep us updated. I've heard good and bad results in similar situations. When I did this, it took me a couple of tries throughout the night to get chicks under my broody. She pecked at me, too, and pecked at a chick a couple of times.

Get up suuuuper early - before dawn - and get out there before mama wakes up. You'll be able to run interference if needed.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
:fl

Back
Top Bottom