1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing chicks to Mama

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FreeBirthMama, Sep 2, 2016.

1. FreeBirthMama

FreeBirthMama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2014
    I had a hen on 2 eggs and 2 days before they were due to hatch a raccoon got her.[​IMG] I saved the eggs and made a makeshift incubator out of a margarine tub and rice bags for heat. When I did this before, I was able to slip them under a hen with 2 day old chicks just before they hatched and she accepted them. This time I don't have a broody hen. I do have a hen with 8 day old chicks. One of the eggs has pipped and the other has hatched out completely. Can I put them under mama hen tonight? Will they be alright with siblings 8 days older than they are? Do you think Mama will even accept them?

2. jas humbert

jas humbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2015
    Tennessee
    It is tough to tell - different hens, different attitudes. I did have a incubator bad hatch with only one viablechick once so I slipped her under a hen with week old chicks and she was fine but that momma is very easy going and takes anything. If you do try, you should keep an eye on the momma at first, she may or may not accept them.

3. FreeBirthMama

FreeBirthMama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2014
    Thanks, I should have just trusted my instincts. I did put the egg, and new baby under her when she settled in the nest tonight. No problems [​IMG] She pulled the egg under her and tucked it in. The baby settled in with the other chicks just fine too. We'll see in the morning how they keep up with the older chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by