Introducing chicks to older chickens.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by maxh122801, Apr 3, 2016.

1. maxh122801

maxh122801 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2015
    So as of now i have 6 3 week old chicks and outside i have 2 about a year old chickens. Before we move the young chicks out we need to build a bigger coop. how should i introduce the young ones? Do i put the young ones in the new coop first? or the old ones in the new coop first?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Theres lots of info on this topic and i would suggest that you search for "integrating younger chickens to a flock" or something like that. You'll find some very good posts and articles on the subject. The "see, but no contact" approach seems to be most favoured.

Good luck

CT

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I divide the coop with fencing - and they hang like this until I decide to remove the fencing. Right now, the 5 week old chicks are out there at night and have the big pen during the day. I let the big chicken and the ducks in when I sit in there to watch the interaction between them all.

I do this with my ducks as well.

The littles always get lots of supervised outside time in the yard so the big birds know there are new ones so it isn't a surprise when all the sudden, one night they are sharing the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by