introducing chicks to older chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jwilson48, Mar 29, 2012.

1. jwilson48

jwilson48 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2012
    okay here is my dilemma. my dad hatched two chicks for me that are now 6 weeks old. i have had them in the coop since about 3 1/2 weeks. he hatched one more that is now 3 weeks old. i also have 11 more that are at 2 weeks, and fixing to buy 6 to 8 more a few days old. all of the younger ones are in my brooder which is 4ft by 4ft. i hope to not have any problems introducing the new babies to the younger babies but we will see. i will keep an eye on them for a couple hours at least. when should i introduce the rest of the chicks to the oldest chicks? i know they are still too young now, but i don't want to wait too long and the other two get too aggressive toward the others. the coop is probably between 12x12 and 15x15 (haven't measured it it came with the house we bought) and has two separate runs, however you have to go through one to get to the other.

also a side question. the oldest chicks that are in the coop are leghorn/welsummer cross. i never see them in the run. they are always in the coop. i make them come out every day into my yard by picking them up and bringing them outside. they will finally go to eating grass and bugs after a few minutes but never get more than about 5 ft away from the coop. the little roo is much more bold than the little pullet. they seem eager to get back in the coop when i let them. how long will it take for them to actually want to go outside? is it because there is only two of them?

One last question. i plan on having around 15 hens to try to get around 12 eggs per day. should i have two roosters? i do want my eggs to be fertile as i would like to sell chicks and hatch new ones to replace hens that burn out. will i have problems with fighting if i keep two roos?

sorry for all the rambling. i just want everyone to know my situation so you can best answer my questions.
    the oldest 3 are all leghorn/welsummer cross. i have 9 purebred australorps and these are the ones i plan on keeping my roosters out of. i have two gold star pullets. i am going to buy 4 barred rock pullets and either 2 or 4 more australorps.

If you are still reading thank you and i look forward to your advise.

2. jwilson48

Mar 25, 2012
    if you don't know all the answers just tell me what you do know please. it's my bedtime and i know i won't go to sleep until someone answers me lol.

3. Albanese07

Albanese07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Florida
    I have a similar situation- 2 seven week olds in the coop and 2 two week olds in the brooder. From what I've read wait til the chicks are mostly feathered and around at least 6 weeks, then add them at night to the coop. They will wake up all together and for some reason that helps.
    There will be some squabbling but as long as no blood is drawn its ok.
    If blood is drawn separate them. Some people say to take out the most aggressive one for a few days then add her back. I have a dog cage reserved for this in case it happens. Hopefully it won't though!
    Watch carefully for a few days to make sure the younger ones are able to get to the food/water - and hope they all settle down in a few days!
    If anyone has anything else to add I'd love to hear it too!

1 person likes this.
  4. jwilson48

Mar 25, 2012
    i still need some answers please!

5. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    per the two roo question; you will most likely have fighting...
    I only have one roo and I had 39 hens and let me tell you..he got around to EVERY SINGLE HEN almost everyday..lol
    with a small flock; I wouldnt do two roos...honestly....

1 person likes this.
  6. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    Unless you have two roosters raised together, Then they are almost definetley going to fight...

Sorry
    Caleb

7. jwilson48

Mar 25, 2012
    my two roosters would be raised together and they would be australorps which i've heard are more docile than most. but if you think my eggs will stay fertile, then i won't bother with a second rooster.

8. only4ghosts

only4ghosts Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Wait until the chicks are at least five or six weeks to put them I. The coop. I put mine in before that and lost a Barred Rock to my older Easter Eggers. They pecked her to death.

9. WomynFarmer

WomynFarmer New Egg

Apr 5, 2012
    I have 8 hens and three roosters. We also let them range on about two acres, so they have plenty of room to not get in fights. The two younger ones are the older one's sons, that we hatched out ourselves, so we don't want to give them up. They bicker, but nothing serious. And they don't overwork the hens. Although now that it's spring we're adding some more hens for the younger guys.

10. Albanese07

Albanese07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Florida
    Thank you- they're about 3 weeks old now and feathering out. They're really outgrowing my brooder. But I will wait two more weeks if that will keep them safer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by