introducing chicks to other chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lablover, Apr 11, 2012.

1. lablover

lablover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    I already have 6 chicks that are around 2 weeks old. If I got 2 more, probably around the same age, will there be any trouble introducing them?

2. RedheadErin

RedheadErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    I am dying to know this also. I have 14 from one batch and 5 from the other batch. I would love to put them all together. As it is, they are peeing over the tops of the brooders to see who is next door.

3. TexGal

TexGal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    I bought 8 from TSC last week and lost one the first night. I went back for 1 more and they were all gone. So today the DH surprised me with one that's a week younger (shipment came in today). I was nervous since the two week chicks are much bigger. I put her in there tonight and they all seem fine. The new chick was a little vocal at first but now she is fine and the others just walk around her. No one is picking on her yet *fingers crossed*

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    If they're around the same age, then there shouldn't be too much of a problem. There might be a bit of scuffling first as the pecking order is rearranged but that's normal for introducing any chickens to each other. Especially as the chicks are still young, there wouldn't be too much picking happening.

Even when we introduced our pullets to the existing flock, there was only a bit of pecking at first, then things settled down.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by