1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing chicks to other chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by YULickenthat, Mar 9, 2015.

1. YULickenthat

YULickenthat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2015
    Reno, Nv
    Hi! I just recently brought home 5 Rhode Island Red chicks who are about a week and a half old. I got them from a local feed store. I was thinking about getting a couple more chicks of a different breed but am not sure if it would be ok to introduce them to my current 5. The new babies would probably be around the same age, if not a week younger, and have to share the same brooder box. Do you think they are young enough to avoid drama between them if introduced at this age, or should I just forget the idea all together?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have found all is good if they are within 2 weeks in age of each other. Three week gap is just a bit much when they are brand new day old chicks. So now is the time to put some more day olds in.

They will be better friends if you do it now rather than wait until grown up.

3. MARANMAN2011

MARANMAN2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    They should be fine just not to much older no more then a couple weeks.

4. YULickenthat

Mar 9, 2015
    Reno, Nv
    Thank you for your replies! The feed stores I go to will be getting new chicks Wednesday and Friday, so I will have to wait until then, but hopefully the newbies wont be more than a week younger...hopefully. [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...I'd be ready to split the brooder with mesh tho.

1 person likes this.
  6. ChristieB

ChristieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    If they are coming for different places they should be quarantined before introduction

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Regarding hatchery chicks, there is some risk regarding mixing them from different locations, but I'd personally not be concerned about that.

8. Eliaria

Eliaria Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Martinsville, IN
    I've mixed chicks of different ages and different origins for years and never had any issue. And I'm talking weeks apart. I've also mixed ducks and guineas with them as well. There was only one time when it turned out bad, and that's when I wasn't home. My dad had brought 3 more chicks home, and they were quite young, barely any feathers on their wings. My ducks trampled one of them before I was able to get home and get them into a separate box. He didn't know any better and I was unaware he was bringing any new ones home

With chicks, I generally keep chicks who are under a week in a separate box/brooder until they can get their feet a bit if they look way smaller than the older chicks. A few days to a week or two won't hurt them at all.

9. YULickenthat

Mar 9, 2015
    Reno, Nv
    Thanks all for your input!! Here's a little update: Today I went to the feed store and picked up 2 Barred Rock chicks to add to my little flock consisting of 5 Rhode island Red chicks. They all came from the same feed store and are no more or less than a week apart in age. So far so good!! If there was going to be conflict would it happen immediately or can it take a little time? Also, in comparing my new 2-3 day old chicks to my week old chicks, the new babies seem very unstable in comparison. Is this normal or should I be converned about the new babies?[​IMG]

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

New babies can take a bit of time to get their bearings when faster chicks are around, but if no bullying is going on now then I'd say it should be smooth sailing. If by unstable you mean they seem slower and a bit more timid, that is OK. If you mean they are falling over that isn't good. Congrats on your babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by