1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing chicks to Pit Bull

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by joebat, May 11, 2011.

1. joebat

joebat Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    I have had my chickens going on a couple weeks now. My Pit Bull seems to have the sweets for my little chickies. She has always been with me when I feed and change the water out in the brooder. These are chicks from a silver laced wyandotte roo and silver laced or columbian hens. So I expect everything in between. Minnie, my pit bull, has adored these chicks for a week in the brooder. Today was the second playpen day for little chicks. It is obvious that she enjoyed the experience more than the chicks did. The chicks did loosen up a little (the older ones) after a while, but not much. I hope this isn't considered mistreatment to the chicks, but I want everyone to get along. My chihuahua and cairne terrier(not pictured) are going to take some extra work! Lol[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    my dog LOVES our chicie babies! She sits by their brooder box and watches them and sniffs them and at first they are scared but after a little while they pay no attention to her. I don't think you are bad at all! If you introduce them early she will more likely be protective of them than harm them! My dog is very protective over my chickens and has "loved" on them all since little chicks!

3. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    of course just make sure you are around in case anything went wrong until you know they are both ok w/ being together....

4. lillie2202

lillie2202 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    My long hair Chihuahua loves the little Chickie baby's he will sit out side there run and just watch them and when the big girls are out free ranching if one of them gets to close to his baby's he will let them know with a little bark and a nuge from his nose its so cute because most of the big girls out weigh him by like five pounds or more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by