Introducing Chicks to the Flock

redpennies15

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 30, 2014
Jasper, Texas
I have six red sex links chicks and 4 french guinea chicks. All are 6 weeks old today. It's a pretty day and I'm thinking of letting the chicks out of the coop to join the 10 gold sex links hens (approx 6 months old) and one sex link rooster (approx. 1 year old).

Are they gonna get clobbered if I let them join the flock? They aren't even half the size of the adults yet. They do have a large fenced in area and trees/coop/55 gallon buckets to hide behind. What age would be best to release them?

Also, can they eat the same food as the adults yet?

I have six red sex links chicks and 4 french guinea chicks. All are 6 weeks old today. It's a pretty day and I'm thinking of letting the chicks out of the coop to join the 10 gold sex links hens (approx 6 months old) and one sex link rooster (approx. 1 year old).

Are they gonna get clobbered if I let them join the flock? They aren't even half the size of the adults yet. They do have a large fenced in area and trees/coop/55 gallon buckets to hide behind. What age would be best to release them?

Also, can they eat the same food as the adults yet?

I don't usually let my little ones around the adults until they are around 3 months old. I read a heartbreaking story on here a while back about their rooster killing all of their 5 week old chicks. I've never had that kind of aggression in my roosters but it's better to be safe than sorry.

The chicks need to be on starter or poultry developer until they are 4 months old. Layer mix has too much calcium in it for little ones.
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! I will buy some more chick starter, then. What you said about the calcium agrees with what I've been reading today. It hurts their kidneys. It seems I also need to make some more room if they're gonna be in the coop for another 2+ months.

Back
Top Bottom