Introducing chicks?

MotherHen75

Songster
Dec 18, 2018
South Carolina
We have 7 chicks we got from TSC, all healthy, 6 are just over a week old and one is 3 weeks. We have a buff orpington broody hen, she’s super sweet and just hatched 4 chicks 6 days ago. We were thinking we could get her to adopt the older chicks, but we’re not sure we should take the risk. We have a small flock of 6 hens and a rooster. We’re basically doubling or close to tripling the flock. Should we just wait till they’re older or what?

Your broody hen will generally not adopt older chicks. Occasionally a hen will take anything, but usually a hen will attack chicks that aren't her own.

You can integrate chicks after they are weaned of heat. Size of your set up will dictate whether it's easy or hard.

Generally you pen chicks where they can be seen for a few weeks before starting supervised mingling.

What about chicks that are the same age, but in two different brooders?
(For space and the least amount of construction waste, we went with two brooders). Should I have any concerns, or things to look for when they are integrated? (I plan on having plenty of water, food and roosts, so there's no need to compete!)
They are just under 3 weeks, and we plan to move them out (and put them all together) in two weeks (when the coop is completed). There are 22 chicks, Buckeyes, Wyandottes, Buff Orps and an Americana.

We also have an adult Buff Orpington hen and rooster who reside in a chicken tractor at night, but free range from dawn to dusk...thinking we'll put the littler ones in the big coop and let the others watch them from the outside for a week before integrating.

Also, I'm sort of piggybacking on someone else's post, is that ok? I'm sort of new so I don't know if its bad form to start a new question off of some else's post!

Thanks, good to know!! :)
I came in on a chicken emergency and sort of bi-passed all the intro stuff in my haste, how do I start a new thread? Or is there a link for newbies? Thanks for your help, and sorry to intrude on a thread!

What about chicks that are the same age, but in two different brooders?
(For space and the least amount of construction waste, we went with two brooders). Should I have any concerns, or things to look for when they are integrated? (I plan on having plenty of water, food and roosts, so there's no need to compete!)
They are just under 3 weeks, and we plan to move them out (and put them all together) in two weeks (when the coop is completed). There are 22 chicks, Buckeyes, Wyandottes, Buff Orps and an Americana.

We also have an adult Buff Orpington hen and rooster who reside in a chicken tractor at night, but free range from dawn to dusk...thinking we'll put the littler ones in the big coop and let the others watch them from the outside for a week before integrating.

Also, I'm sort of piggybacking on someone else's post, is that ok? I'm sort of new so I don't know if its bad form to start a new question off of some else's post!

All good! I had a similar experience, we had a 2 week old and a couple day olds. The older one was a silkie and their not aggressive so we weren’t really worried. As long as their younger chicks i think they can still be together.

You can try it, it might work, it might not. Pen the not her chicks close to where she keeps her chicks. The strange chicks peeping will either intrigue her, and she will want those chicks to join her chicks, or she will feel that the strange chicks are threatening her chicks, if so she will puff up and peck at them, even if they are behind a fence. If so, it is a no go. And you will have to wait.

Mrs. K

Back
Top Bottom