1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Yvette0, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Yvette0

Yvette0 New Egg

Nov 29, 2011
    Last September I bought my first two chickens, but two nights ago a raccoon got one of them. Yesterday I went to get another one, but the chicks were only two weeks old. I got two of them and they're in a cage where my older hen can see them, but can't get them. When is it okay to let the chicks go with the hen?

2. Jchantecler

Jchantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Whenever they seem big enough. Generally 3-4 months for us.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I think it will depend on your older hen's personality as well as the size difference in the birds. What breed are they?

4. Yvette0

Yvette0 New Egg

Nov 29, 2011
    My older one is a black australorp about 4 months. The two babies were sold as ameraucanas, but I have no proof of it.

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Mine went together with the older girls form a very young age. They used to get grief during feeding time, so we got into the habit of pouring out two piles of food. They were left alone after that. [​IMG]

Things change over time, bones grow old. The older hens are now tormented by the younger ones, because they no longer have the energy to get around like they used to. [​IMG]

6. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Totally agree. I introduced my birds when my older ones were 5 months, and my younger ones were like six weeks old I think. Everyone was just fine.

7. Wnunezcruz

Wnunezcruz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Tennessee
    I agree with the above comment. It does depend on the hens attitude. I would let the chicks out with her and see if she picks on them. If so I would put them in the other pen for at least a month Or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by