Introducing chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jjsasfai, Jul 25, 2013.

1. jjsasfai

jjsasfai In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    Texas
    Hello all, we are new to all of this so sorry for a possible silly question.
    How have y'all introduced new chickens into the flock? I have 4 in the coop right now (3 RIRs and a wyndote), one inside that could easily go out, and 2 lil chicks. The one that's ready to go out is smaller than the rest (sicillian buttercup). We have tried to put her out before but she ends up scared in the corner. She's now mothering the little ones but I'd love advice for taking her out when the time comes.

2. jjsasfai

jjsasfai In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    Texas
    By the way, the 3 inside are the ones in my picture :)

3. Hmm there are many ways to do this. What you need to do is build like a little "quarantine zone" in the pen that way they can interact and "talk" to each other. What's the age difference between them? Sometimes
    If they are not too much older than each other they will get along just fine. All you need is a side by side pen so they can interact with each other for a couple of weeks. Then you can put them in the same pen.

1 person likes this.
  4. jjsasfai

jjsasfai In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    Texas
    Mostly just a few months age difference, we do have a full grown hen that was a rescue but we had no problem introducing her to the others...pretty laid back. What do you recommend for the "quarantine" pen?? Wire so they can see through? Might just put the cage they are in now outside in the coop...its a modified birdcage.

5. chicken wire. Yes they do beed to see each other in order to get used to each other. You don't want your chickens killing the babies

1 person likes this.
  6. jjsasfai

jjsasfai In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    Texas
    What do yo think about taking the cage they are in now into the coop? Supervised of course.

7. yes. I supervised mine while I was getting them used to each other.

8. jjsasfai

jjsasfai In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    Texas
    How long of a quarantine do you recommend? We put her in the coop, in her cage yesterday. Seems less scared but shes very flighty so when we let her out she usually runs, causing the others to chase her!

9. 6x6, 6x8, or 8x8. Would be big enough for them.

10. jjsasfai

jjsasfai In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    Texas
    Meant how many days :) they have plenty of space!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: