1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing chicks.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken4fun, Jan 1, 2014.

1. chicken4fun

chicken4fun New Egg

Dec 22, 2013
    I have 12 hens and 8 baby chicks. The chicks are 2 months old we have been introducing the chicks for an hour every day for a week, today we put them in the run all day, they seem to be fine but keep to their selves. my question is do I go ahead and put them together all night or should I wait another week?

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there,
    Personally, I would wait until the chicks are 10 -12 week or better. Some people wait longer, it depends. You can try it and watch from a distance to see how it goes, if the older girls get mean, separate them for a few more weeks, Sue

3. chicken4fun

chicken4fun New Egg

Dec 22, 2013
    Thanks Sue we just went and separated them again for the night, I worry to much about not having enough room for them at night. I think I will wait longer. There is not much size difference in them.

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    All the books will tell you so many feet roost/per bird, however, I've always found they cram themselves together as tight as can be! If you have an area in the hen house that the little ones can congregate in, they might be ok. I added a couple of 12 weekers' a few weeks back and they are now roosting with the older girls at night, but get hassled during the day, so they sit in the house all day! Mind you, with our night temps in the minus area right now, I think I'd stay inside too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by