Introducing chicks

skyfilly

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 6, 2014
Nova Scotia
Hi guys and gals

I will be purchasing a few Orpington chicks
Next week and I have older Chickens, 2 pullets and a cockerel. Can I put the chicks with them? Or do I need To separate them for awhile until they are older.

Thank

Last edited:
How old are your pullets and cockerel? And how old are the chicks you are purchasing? If there is a different in age of more than 2-4 weeks, you will have to wait before introducing the new chicks. I would wait until the chicks are at least 12 weeks of age before putting them in with your older birds.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
If the chicks are close enough in age to your pullets and cockerel, you could put them together. If you current bird are full-size, I'd wait until the new birds are about 14-16 weeks old before putting them together.

Also, its important to quarantine the new birds when you get them. Keep them separate for at least two weeks, as you don't want them transmitting disease to your current flock.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

X3 Chicks need to be at least 3 or 4 months old before they are mixed in an adult flock. Keep them in a cage or fenced off area for at least one month before mixing, but within the flock at all times. Everybody sees, nobody touches. When you do mix them in, put out a few more feeding and watering stations. The older flock can guard these areas and starve out the newbies. And always intervene if it turns bloody.

Good luck and enjoy all your babies!

X 4 on the advice given above. A good rule of thumb is that new birds should be of a similar size to the existing flock before integrating.
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Like everyone has said, the see but don't touch is the best method to use.

Back
Top Bottom