Introducing country life to my 2 boys

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rulucky, Dec 20, 2012.

1. rulucky

rulucky Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2012
    Living in South Louisiana I have grown up in the country around livestock. Now that me and my wife live in a semi-urban environment, (only a half acre of land is semi-urban to me) our two boys havent had a whole lot of hands-on in the field of country living. Its all sports and video games for my eight and five year old boys. So with that...about six months ago I bought six laying hens and they love it...picking the eggs, feeding and just watching them. Then my addiction started...so Ive just recently ordered fifteen more day old chicks which arrived a cpl. days ago. The boys think its the coolest thing...baby chicks living in the laundry room of our house. Ive been doing a lot of my research here on the site and figured it was time to join in...

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, rulucky, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! I lived in your fine state a long time ago - I loved it! I like how you are involving the kids in the chicken operation. You are right on the mark about getting them outside and working - so many great lessons with responsibility comes with chickens! Good luck to you and your new arrivals!

3. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined. Best of luck with your new chicks :)

4. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    [​IMG]
    That chicken bug always gets you [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. DeColores97

DeColores97 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2012
    Love your story! I got roped into this for my kids too. Somewhere along the way I think I am more excited than my kids will be on Christmas day when they see the chicks for the first time!

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

What you are teaching your sons is admirable, and very nice to hear. So many kids don't know where their food comes from. It's a lesson that your boys are privileged to learn.

Bravo! [​IMG]and [​IMG]

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California, you have the chicken bug for sure!

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by