Introducing day-old chicks to the one 5 week old chick

totalchickenlady

In the Brooder
Dec 17, 2022
Hi, I am hatching some new chicks (9 silkies and 8 large fowl Cochins). I already have a chick from a previous batch, who was the only one to hatch, and by the time the new chicks hatch she will be 5 weeks old. It is way too cold for any of them to move out of the house for a few months. Can a combine them or will the older chick hurt them?

Hi, I am hatching some new chicks (9 silkies and 8 large fowl Cochins). I already have a chick from a previous batch, who was the only one to hatch, and by the time the new chicks hatch she will be 5 weeks old. It is way too cold for any of them to move out of the house for a few months. Can a combine them or will the older chick hurt them?
Like with adults, they should be separated within view of each other for a few weeks or so before letting them have supervised time together, then finally letting them live full time together. Simply because that five week old will have no issue being able to kill chicks, not the it definitely will, it'll just be super easy for it to do so.

Back
Top Bottom