Introducing diffrent age chicks to each other?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by StarryEyzz, Apr 13, 2012.

1. StarryEyzz

StarryEyzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Granite Falls, WA
    We have four, two week old chicks. Tomorrow we are adding two more to our flock. I beleive they are 3-6 days old. Can I just add them to the brooder or will there be issues?
    Thanks in advance[​IMG]

2. DryCreekFarm

DryCreekFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    Burleson, Tx
    I would keep the two new chicks together and add the older chicks one at a time. We've always done it this way, so I can't speak for just throwing them together. I am sure it would be fine. They can't peck that hard. [​IMG]

3. StarryEyzz

Apr 9, 2012
    Granite Falls, WA
    Ahhh, that makes sense. I'll start with the least "busy" chick and go down the line. LOL

THANKS!!!!

4. mike001

mike001 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    I had the same situation except more of each and I just tossed them right in after keeping them separate for a couple of days to make sure they got a lot of food. The older chicks accepted them right away and the younger ones acted like the older ones and the bullying went both ways. A week later I can hardly tell them apart, except for Tiny, who keeps jumping onto my lap and shoulder.

5. StarryEyzz

Apr 9, 2012
    Granite Falls, WA

Too cute. Mine are just now starting to warm up to me. [​IMG]

6. mike001

mike001 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Oh he doesn't care about me, he just likes heights and I didn't put in any roosts to keep them away from the heat lamps. :)

7. StarryEyzz

Apr 9, 2012
    Granite Falls, WA
    Well my nephew picked out two to add to our current 4. One of them was a Bantam so REALLY little. I was worried but the older ones took to the newbies just fine. Almost protective and cuddling them to keep 'em warm!

We really didn't need to worry about that little Bantam....she seems to be the most bossy of them all.[​IMG]

8. mhaddon

mhaddon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    We had 10 week old chicks, day old turkeys, and a few day old chicks that we have put together. Mostly because I didn't have something to put everything in like I had planned. They are doing great, but the 10 I hatched were laid back and have done great with the 5 day old chicks that are in the brooder with them. Hopefully they will all be separated out by tomorrow. I had 50 Rhode Island roosters that are insane and it was safer to pull my Light Brahams out before they were trampled.

9. StarryEyzz

Apr 9, 2012
    Granite Falls, WA
    I think with us only have 6 total, it isn't going to be to crazy in there. But I am checking on them every few minutes. LOL

10. Chris271983

Chris271983 New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    i have 7 3week old chicks an i just bought 6 more 2day old chicks and i tried to put them all together an my older ones started pecking at all the little ones so i had to seperate them how can i get them all together ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by