Introducing ducklings to my adult chickens

BizzyB

Chirping
May 23, 2020
I’m planning on getting two ducklings in a month or two and want them to get along with my four grown hens. Any tips for the introduction process and how to tell when they’ve gotten used to each other?

female ducks can get along alright with chickens if everyone is given enough space, but if you plan to use the same housing for them you might need to make some modifications. Ducks don't tend to love steep ramps, so if your coop is lifted that might be an issue. They don't use roosts so if there isn't an adequate corner of your coop for them to hunker down in, your chickens will spend all night pooping on them which is not ideal. Ducks generate a lot more moisture than chickens so your current venting and bedding situation may not be adequate. Ducks need a waterer that allows them to dunk their entire head in so they can clean their nostrils out as they get blocked with food and gunk easily, most chicken waterers are not suitable for that and it can get messy. Chickens don't do great with messy. Their poop is also much worse because of all the water they have to ingest while theyre eating. This all adds to the moisture and mess problem. And of course theyre going to need some kind of swimming water which could become unsafe for the chickens, especially if you hatch babies.

If you don't get your ducklings sexed and you wind up with one male, you'll either need to add 3+ more females or get rid of it and replace it with another female. If one or both ducklings are male, you'll want to permanently separate your ducks from your chickens as a male duck trying to mate a chicken can easily kill it.

If getting rid of a duck you've already become attached to sounds like a problem, I'd suggest finding two ducks that are old enough to be definitively sexed. They may not imprint on you like a hatchling would, but lots of people adopt young and old ducks that still get used to and like them plenty.

Back
Top Bottom