Introducing ducklings to the big ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by loopy12, May 23, 2010.

1. loopy12

loopy12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    I have three 5 week cayuga ducklings that will be joining my other 2 adult pekin ducks in the duck house in a few weeks. What can I expect?
    Do I introduce them like I would new chickens to the hen house? i.e. put them in at night, keep them penned in for 3 days etc? Or are ducks just not that worried about newcomers?

2. chickenlittle1980

chickenlittle1980 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    i hope some one answers you

3. loopy12

Apr 11, 2009
    Me too [​IMG]

Thanks for the bump [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. chickenlittle1980

chickenlittle1980 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    [​IMG]

5. loopy12

Apr 11, 2009
    Anyone???

I tried popping them into the duck house at bedtime last night. My drake was not amused...lots of quacking and peeping and 3 little black ducklings shot out the door at speed...
    Today I tried introducing them during the day on the pond and the drake had another go chasing them out of the water. DH grabbed him and had a serious talk with him and he calmed down (!!duck whisperer!!) and he stopped chasing them but by that point they were climbing into my lap peeping and shaking so I left it for now...

So anyone got any thoughts....??????????????????????????????

6. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    I've had good luck putting them in a wire cage (with food and water of course) and setting them in the middle of the hen-house or duck pen. After a few days the adults get used to seeing them, and later you can let them out. Try it, and let me know how it works for you.........

7. loopy12

Apr 11, 2009
    Thats what I do with chickens, so they have been in an XL dog crate for about a week outside, and the two adults have seen them and even tried to steal the ducklings food through the bars, yet still they freaked out. Maybe I need to move the dog crate next to the pond - it seemed a terratorial thing. [​IMG]

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My big ducks could see the babies through the wire. At about 4 weeks I opened the door and let them all mingle EXCEPT I put the drake in the separate pen for a few nights first. That way the babies got to meet the girls (supervised by mom) first. Once I let dad out, everyone was fine.

9. loopy12

Apr 11, 2009
    Hmmm I hadn't thought of that. [​IMG] Donald and Daisy are normally inseparable ever since the big raccoon attack that took the other 4 ducks. He's very protective so that might be the issue - didn't bother Daisy at all. Thanks, I will give that a go. The ducklings are imprinted on me, which is adorable but would be better for them if they would attach to the other ducks.

10. chickduck10101

chickduck10101 New Egg

Jul 8, 2014
    My grandma got an offer to keep a baby duckling, the only problem is, a few days ago of our ducks were killed so our other four ducks are stressed. so i am scared that if we put a baby duckling in there pen with them then he or she will be picked on because of the quick transition. So that brings me to my point, what was the best solution for you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by