1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

introducing ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Linds982, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Linds982

Linds982 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    Hi everyone,
    Looking for advice on introducing-my friend and I split a litter of Muscovies in July or so. As it turns out, I have 4 girls and 1 male. She has 5 males and 1 female. Realizing that we probably have a problem on our hands, I have offered to take 2 more of her males. She could very well still have a problem, but I'm really about to have all the ducks I need (she'll probably need some females still!!!). I got 3 brown barred females a few weeks ago. I have the 3 new girls that look to be maybe 2 months younger quarantined in a pen in the chicken yard. I think I need to deworm them, but otherwise they are healthy and growing quickly! The first set of Muscovies fly back and fourth from the chicken yard(where the girls are) to the pond. They do have through fence contact each day, during feeding time and also sometimes when I go check on them, they are all sitting beside each other, on opposite sides of the fence. So at some point I will introduce them, but is there any certain way I should go about it? Also, in the near future I will take 2 of her males-should I just do the same thing? Quarantine them for some amount of time, then introduce somehow? Or in the end is it partly just luck?

Thanks!
    Lindsey

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sounds like you have a good approach - let them see each other from opposite sides of a fence till there seems to be no problem (sometimes that only takes a day or so). Introducktions in our flock then involve supervised time together in the yard. Once it seems that is going well, the fence is removed but I check often to make sure there is no grief. I had to revert to separate areas for quite a while last year, but we seem to be past that now.

Treats for everyone seemed to help get the flock to blend, too.

I hope some muscovy people come in here since my experience is with buffs and runners.

3. Linds982

Linds982 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    Thanks for your help. I am really in love with my ducks. I just wish they would go in the house with hay in it that I made up for them that is next to the pond. Its getting down to 7 degrees here on either tomorrow night or Monday night. Wonder if I should go out after dark and try to catch them and lock them up somewhere else just for the night.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would want them in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by