Introducing eggs to a broody hen - how to and other questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by babsh, Apr 7, 2009.

1. babsh

babsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have a broody Silkie who has been faithfully sitting on her invisible eggs for several days now. I have a dozen eggs on order and expect to see them in the next few days.

1. Is there any trick to putting the eggs under her? Is there a best time of day or do you just stick em under her. I can't imagine her rejecting them. She looks so forlorn whenever we take eggs from her. And if you place one in front of her, she will quickly nudge it under her.

2. At what point do I need to separate her from the other birds (I'm supposed to do that, right?). Do I have to separate her right away? Or can she sit for awhile and then I move her when it gets closer to hatching time? I would like to leave her in the coop for awhile, because the temps in Minnesota are still a bit cold. My chicken ark is not nearly as warm as the coop.

3. Would it be crazy to move her indoors to brood? I think my kids would love, love, love that. And then we can actually keep a closer watch on her.

TIA

Barb

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. babsh

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    Anyone have any wisdom for me? : )

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I separate mine broodys when I have determined she is willing to set for 21 days. I put mine in large dog crates or a large brooder pen with food and water close by and a place for her to get up and relieve herself. I always add my eggs under the Broody in the evenings when she is wanting to sleep, they stay calmer.

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    With my silkies I just put the eggs in the nest any time of day and they roll them under themselves and set on them. I do take them away from the main flock though, I have a makeshift nest that I put in a sperate pen. I have chicken wire to hold them in the nest for a few hours to force them to set in the new location. Afterwards I just lift the chicken wire so they can get in at out at will to eat drink etc

5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I always seperate my broodies in a large dog crate. I somtimes move her nest and all thats the best way to do so if you are able to move your nests. With my silkie I just put the eggs infrount of her and she rolls them under her.

6. babsh

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    Quote:My Silkie will have been broody about a week by the time I will get eggs under her. Is this too long? So far, she has been broody twice, and both times she lasted 3-4 weeks.

Barb

7. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Once she is separated (I know... [​IMG]) You can put the eggs under her in the daytime. But if you don't want to get pecked I advise that you do it at night. You can set the eggs right next to her. As soon as she sees them, she'll gently tuck them under her. Simple as that.

~Rio

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    No that's not too long, I've had some set for 21 days on air and take eggs on day 22 and set for another 20 or so days.. Just make sure she has food and water close. Keep an eye on her and make her get up if you have too once a day or every few days. I feed mine treats of canned corn sometimes to make sure they are getting something to eat if not the reg. food and fresh water every day. She should be okay.

9. babsh

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it.

Barb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by