introducing extremely aggressive chick to hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by muell112, Aug 15, 2010.

1. muell112

muell112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    I hatched out 3 hybrid chicks this year from my 1+ year old mixed flock about 2 months ago. One of the chicks is quite large but still smaller than the adults. I've introduced this chick to a couple of my hens (araucana and cochin) and both times the chick has flared it's neck feathers and tried to attack the hens (they of course respond by flaring theirs and returning the favor). What is this chick's deal? He/she obviously is not going to win a fight with an adult. The other 2 chicks ignored the adult hens and vice versa. I'm impressed with the chick's attitude but a little perplexed as well.

2. chickenboy21

chickenboy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    they all need to reestablish the pecking order and your one chick seems to want to be higher up in the order... eventually they all find their spot and calm down goodluck

3. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Let them work it out but supervise. The hens will put the chick in its place usually without any injury, just a few good pecks and all will be fine. They will have to work out a pecking order at some point.

4. muell112

muell112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    Still not sure if it's a hen or rooster - will roosters act any different when establishing their place?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by