Introducing female adult duck to a bonded pair

2duckfamily

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 4, 2012
Hello! We have 2 runner ducks (1 drake ad 1 duck) and have today just bought an ancona female. Our runner girl seems scared of the newcomer and our make runner (as you can imagine) will.not.leave. her. alone. He keeps pecking at her neck and trying to mount her, and I'm afraid that leaving all three overnight in the same place might not be a good idea. Any suggestions???

introducing ducks is tricky..whether its to a whole flock or a bonded pair in my opinon doesnt make much of a difference since ducks don't really mate for life like swans do..I've tried it several different ways and what it really comes down to is the duck personalities. Some ducks will tolerate a new duck and others just won't have it no matter what you do. Most of the time though my experience is that tolerate is about all you can hope for..rarely does a duo become a trio when you put a new duck in..i mean they may get so they allow the new duck to be around, but you'll see that the two that started together will always stick together and the newbie will sort of be the odd man out. I have several flocks..they eat together and i see them near each other on the lake..but they always split off into their own groups..basically who ever i raised together is a flock of their own..if i separate them they quack for each other. if i take a couple ducks from a flock and put a new duck in and make them stay together to get used to each other the only thing the ducks are interested in is getting back to their flock. My advice is to watch..don't just stick the new duck right in their face..let them get to know each other on their terms.

welcome-byc.gif

How old are the ducks in question? i usually allow new ducks to see/talk to the original flock but not be in with it so they don't get hurt, it takes time, and yes, personality of the ducks in question play a role too. I also think smaller flock are harder to intro too, mine is larger and always has something going on lol

Thanks for your replies so far! The new duck is slightly older- She's already 2 years old whereas our pair is about 6 months old....so far they have been more tolerant, but the male duck controls everything, from the food the new duck eats to the amount of water she drinks. I'll keep you posted!

yep my one drake is like that..Lucifer i call him since he's been so mean lately..he has a flock of 6 right now..but when the other flocks are around with less controlling drakes he will decide when they're all eating that he doesn't want them to eat and he'll just stop eating and chase them out ..if he gets too rowdy i go and stand between him and the others and he'll behave..or if i just sternly say ..KNOCK IT OFF he'll stop for a few..but the other ducks know he can't chase them all at once..so while he's chasing one or two the rest continue eating..lol with just a small flock like that though..he really can chase her every chance he gets so to make sure she eats you may have to just do that..stand between them. Have you tried maybe treating him when she's around. Sometimes when i introduce them, I go out and every time i put the new duck around I give everyone some treats..then they don't see her as a threat..they see her and think they might get a treat. Its worked for some of my introductions.

yep my one drake is like that..Lucifer i call him since he's been so mean lately..he has a flock of 6 right now..but when the other flocks are around with less controlling drakes he will decide when they're all eating that he doesn't want them to eat and he'll just stop eating and chase them out ..if he gets too rowdy i go and stand between him and the others and he'll behave..or if i just sternly say ..KNOCK IT OFF he'll stop for a few..but the other ducks know he can't chase them all at once..so while he's chasing one or two the rest continue eating..lol with just a small flock like that though..he really can chase her every chance he gets so to make sure she eats you may have to just do that..stand between them. Have you tried maybe treating him when she's around. Sometimes when i introduce them, I go out and every time i put the new duck around I give everyone some treats..then they don't see her as a threat..they see her and think they might get a treat. Its worked for some of my introductions.

I'm going to need a new female this spring to expand our flock. I just know our drake will be a snot about it like yours. The treat trick is a great idea. Thanks for the helpful advice!

Oh for sure, i'd keep her in a pen or crate where they can see, hear and smell her but not harm her and they'll get used to her being around..and let her out with a fence or border between them..thats when i start with the treats..when they see her and come to check her out when they still can't get to her, give them a treat ..something they really like..whether it's peas or meal worms..or blueberries..what ever your ducks really like that maybe they don't get with every meal so that they start to associate this delicious treat with the arrival of the new duck...and for a bit they only get that treat when the new duck is around..if you do this for a week or two many times it helps with them...they may never love her, but they won't hate her and that's always my goal..lol

I have been raising ducks for a decade. Adding a new duck. is pretty easy. first of all
the new duck should be sectioned off for at least 3 mos. To insure its healthy and wont spread disease.then put in a wire dog crate or sectioned
off in a wire pen. So the other ducks can be around it and see it.
All animals have a pecking order.So the new duck will go through that with the exhisting pair you have.
Other wise they bond pretty quick.

Back
Top Bottom