Introducing Fermented Starter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by minus10gmt, Oct 18, 2019.

1. minus10gmt

minus10gmt Chirping

Oct 4, 2019
    Big Island, Hawaii
    My new babes arrived a little sooner than expected and I was a day off on my fermented starter, so I gave them dry starter. Now I can't seem to get them to try the fermented, even if I sprinkle some dry on it. Any ideas or tips? Should I just wait another week and try again?

sealer39 and Sagey_7878 like this.
  2. Sagey_7878

Sagey_7878 Songster

Sep 1, 2017
    Australia
    Hi, first of all :welcome.
    If they like the dry feed, I’d let them stay on that. You can try again, but it’s essential they eat and stay healthy, and you wouldn’t want to mess with their stomachs at such a young age.
    :thumbsup

Willowspirit and minus10gmt like this.
  3. minus10gmt

minus10gmt Chirping

Oct 4, 2019
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Thanks and yes, I guess it's fine and maybe can just try later! Glad to know.

Sagey_7878 likes this.
  4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    I'm thinking you meant that the FF wasn't 'ready' when the chicks arrived? You could have fed it to them, wouldn't have hurt. Don't dump out the FF, you can freeze it and restart it. If you really want them eating FF, just put it out & no dry, they'll eat it or you can try again when they're "older" but you'll have to stop feeding the dry when you do this.

minus10gmt likes this.
  5. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    if a free-ranging broody was raising them, they'd be introduced to new foods all day every day, for weeks; they simply need you to show them that it's food (dip their beaks in it) :)

ChickNanny13 and minus10gmt like this.
  6. minus10gmt

minus10gmt Chirping

Oct 4, 2019
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Great tips! I do have some older hens so I can give to them too.

7. minus10gmt

minus10gmt Chirping

Oct 4, 2019
    Big Island, Hawaii
    True! I will keep trying. Did this a few times already.

Perris likes this.
  8. sealer39

sealer39 Crowing

Aug 3, 2013
    Pineville, Louisiana
    I tried to introduce FF to week old chicks and they wouldn’t have it either. Just wait a couple weeks and reintroduce it. They should like it then.
    Is your starter feed medicated?

minus10gmt likes this.
  9. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    I've never had any issues feeding fermented Medicate Chick Starter to chicks but you need to show them it's ok to eat. Put out the FF & peck at it with your finger, may have to do it for several times a day for a few days. What are you feeding/brand?

Years ago when TSC first started with Dumor, replacing Home Grown, I found that feed fermented "different" and negative results with my girls ... Poop got mushy, black, stinky & attracted flies. Switched over to Flock Raiser, within a week, everything went back to normal. Have read others here/BYC having same results.

10. minus10gmt

minus10gmt Chirping

Oct 4, 2019
    Big Island, Hawaii
    My starter feed is not medicated. In the past when somewhat less involved with the flock, we used medicated starter. I've decided to try the unmedicated. I'll wait and try again. I love all these tips, what a great group of people!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: