1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing five younger reds to my older girls

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cyberwuzzle, Aug 27, 2013.

1. cyberwuzzle

cyberwuzzle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    Hi -- I have three pullets that started laying a couple weeks ago (2 Wyandotte and one Brahma). They have a coop which is enclosed by an electrified chicken fence, so they're semi-free-range.

Within the chicken yard I have a separate chicken tractor with five "Rhode Island Reds" (production reds, probably). They will be nine weeks Thursday. I suspect (completely sucks) that three or four of these chickens are roosters. We have a littler one named McNugget that I always thought was a runt because she seems to lag behind the others in development, but it turns out she might be the only lady in the bunch (*insert sigh here*).

Anyway, these chickens have been in the same yard, but separated, for a couple weeks now so everyone can get used to one another. I would like to integrate them within the next couple weeks to a month. I want the Reds to be a little bigger than they are now so they can defend against my older ladies...but since most of them are probably roosters I don't want them *TOO* much bigger, so the hens can keep them in line. I have feeling they're going to be a handful.

I know that as these dudes get older, I'll need to find homes for them. They already chest bump and fight a bit with each other.

Advice, please? I'm new to the chicken thing and want to reduce bloodshed.

I also have five two-week chicks in the brooder (2 Brahma, 2 Cochin, 1 Speckled Sussex), but I'll worry about THEM in a couple months from now.....

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    If all are laying, you can mix them. They won't get to be much larger.

Chris

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    I currently have six 10 week olds in a tractor that I am planning to include in the pasture this week. The tractor has been moving around next to the pasture fence for about two weeks. I am planning on just opening their run to let them mingle. Having done the integration this way before I know it can work. They will sleep in the tractor and mingle as they wish during the day for a month or so until either they decide to move into the coop, doesn't usually happen, or I get tired of them in the tractor and put them in the coop. The problem may come with the fact that I have a rooster with each group. Since the young cockerel really hasn't fully developed yet I am waiting to see if he is still young enough to inter grate easily. of not ... oh well. Since you are doing the same thing. I would think that unless you already have a mature rooster it should go well.

4. cyberwuzzle

cyberwuzzle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    Thanks! Sounds like pretty much the same situation.

5. Mathew544

Mathew544 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Danville, PA
    I introduced 24 8 week old chickens to my 6, 6 month old buff brahmas a few weeks ago and everything went fine. They pecked at each other and chased each other but I just made sure they had double food/water dishes and lots of space and they were fine. It took about a week until everything went back to normal. I think it depends on the breed too. Brahmas are very gentle and not aggressive. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  6. Angie16hearts

Angie16hearts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    California
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I have 2 what we think are a mix american game/ Easter egger ? We just don't know. They are about 3 months old. We also have 3 RIR just baby chicks at 3 weeks old. So much different ! They love to snuggle, can fly really well! Are much sweeter then our older girls. We gave them a equal amount of attention. Only difference is we got RIR at 2 days and the others at (we think) 2 weeks. Anyways I'm babbling :) We have a big coop for the older girls and a smaller coop next to it for the baby RIR. So they are able to see each other all day. We do bring chicks in at night. I'm not expecting to move them Intel they get bigger but want to know at what age? What is the safest process? As my husband thinks they will be ok soon. I'm just not comfortable from some forums I have[​IMG] read about pecking order and chicks getting hurt . Any advice would help!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  7. Den in Penn

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    By the time the RIRs are around 8 weeks they should be able to take what the older ones will give them if they have the space to get away from and the places to get out of sight, of the not yet mature older ones.

8. Angie16hearts

Angie16hearts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    California
    Thank you, as I was thinking about hanging some cabbage and maybe bird feed. keep older girls busy. Is it true it's best to introduce them at night?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  9. Den in Penn

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    I let them mingle during the day for a few days. Others do just put them together at night. I think it comes down to what you are comfortable with

10. Thinking of integrating my new additions...I appreciate that you mentioned putting out double the water/food sources. I should do that! They've got plenty of space to run and obstacles to hide behind. The gold/red sex links are also known to be gentle.

@ cyberwuzzle, I could give a home to a couple of RIR roosters, that is on the off chance that you happen to be anywhere near me! I'm in the Dallas area in Texas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by