1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing Flocks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jamiebartlett, Apr 14, 2007.

1. jamiebartlett

jamiebartlett Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    Hey All, I have 11 baby chicks now. We're keeping them in a brooder on the porch until I think about 6 weeks. Depending on if they have all their feathers or really outgrow their space.

I was told to introduce them to the older hens, put a division between the two for a couple of weeks, then slowly introduce them in the same room.

I also read Storreys CHicken Guide and it goes on and on about Chicken diseases and to have the baby chicks 300 feet from the hens. At what point are chicks safe enough to be with hens and disease not be too major of a concern? Of course Storrye's book advocates replacing older hens with baby chicks and that's not something I am willing to do this year around, maybe next year.

Anybody know or have hd experience with this? Thanks, Jamie

2. johnny_smith09

johnny_smith09 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2007
    Norfork, AR
    well it could be a problem but the problem i see is the pecking order. usually when chicks are put with older ones they tend to peck them. well all chickens are different so i dk about how nice yours are so.. do whatever you want and tell me what happens

3. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    It is best to mix them together when they are closer in size to the older chickens.

4. jamiebartlett

jamiebartlett Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    Thanks, But do you think they can be in the same coop with a division between them like 1/4 inch chicken wire?

5. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    A division would be good. It will help get them used to each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by