Introducing Flocks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SN225, Aug 13, 2014.

1. SN225

SN225 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2014
    Does anyone have tips and tricks to help introduce our new flock of baby chicks to our current flock? Our current flock consists of only one chicken as the rest were killed by a fox, we believe. But the last time we introduced babies it didn't go so well, so we definitely need some advice! Worried how she will react to throwing 6 new babies in her coop as she been "Queen of the Coop" for over a month now. :) Babies are about a month old now and we've been doing some brief introductions outside in the grass.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mixing them in a large space may be the most help. You can also give the chicks hiding places to run to. A secong food andw water station is a good idea, not too close to the other one. Maybe house them next to each other for a few weeks, with a fence in between.

Every flock is different. If the hen has never attacked a chick when you've had them together, it may go well. Good luck!

3. SN225

SN225 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2014
    Thank you! Honestly every time I've let them be together I'm either holding the babies or holding the older chick! I'm too nervous to let them be together yet, the babies can't defend themselves! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by