1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing foster hen to chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bradleyjpyle, Sep 11, 2012.

1. bradleyjpyle

bradleyjpyle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2012
    Is this advisable or even possible to introduce what I would want to be a mama hen to the 20-ish chicks I'll be hatching?

I've got 4month-2 1/2 year old hens, uncertain what ones "best"

My experienced layers are barred rocks.

Should I get my Queen Hen (dominant one) and give them to her so she will defend them?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Only a broody hen will accept and mother chicks. Any non broody will peck at and could even kill chicks.

3. bradleyjpyle

Sep 11, 2012
    Well that's problematic :(

If the hen squawks when I take her eggs but doesnt insist on staying nest close enough to "broody"?

4. bradleyjpyle

Sep 11, 2012
    Can I force my queen hen to stay on her eggs then swap in the chicks?

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Realistically, you can't force a hen to go broody. Allowing her to build up a clutch of eggs may help spark broodiness - MAY HELP.

6. Texasmja

Texasmja Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    You can not force a hen to be broody, she decides when it happens. And if you have a broody hen later you let her sit for a couple of weeks before putting chicks under her (and do it at night). The reason she needs to be sitting for a few weeks before introducing the chicks is to make sure she is serious. You will know because she will only leave her nest once a day to poop and eat and run right back. I had a red sexlink hen go broody this year and I put 12 chicks under her and she raised them all.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Agreed on the above posts. Broodiness is a hormonal thing. You can't force it. If you want to hatch out chicks, you should plan on raising them without the help of a hen. Maybe you'll get lucky and have one go broody, but don't count on it.

8. bradleyjpyle

Sep 11, 2012
    So ditch the idea of foster hen?

What about one of my 4month old hens. How do you think that introduction would go?

9. Texasmja

Texasmja Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    I wouldn't because you are risking her killing them and they need warmth. You are going to have to raise them this time.

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yes - ditch the idea. It would not go well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by