Introducing Guinea Fowl into a Flock of Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Beth K., Nov 22, 2011.

1. Beth K.

Beth K. Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    The Funny Farm
    I have 17 chickens (15 girls, 2 boys) and am considering getting 2 guineas next year. (Why? Because approx. 2 guineas per acre will eliminate ticks entirely.)

So, if I do, how do I integrate the guinea hens in? Nothing is set in stone right now, I just want a good idea of what's involved if I do get them.

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Loudoun

Loudoun Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2011
    I don't know how to introduce Guineys, but I had 3 and 9 chickens, all the same age, grew up together, and altyhough the Guineys were hillarious, they went out of theor way (like 20 feet) to go pick on and chase and bully the chickens. Very tasty, in the end. I recommend that you read more about Guineys nd chickens. Have heard that if one has more than 9, they will clump up and not pick on chickens, less and they will. So my advice is to do more research...not speaking as an expert.
    Cheers,
    Loudoun

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Guineas help get population's down but defiantly won't rid all of them. Also Guineas don't always hang around with chickens. They prefer their own kind. Guinea can be very brutal in their fighting. The more guineas there are the better because the fighting can be dispersed through out the flock. Also guineas can kill chickens. This doesn't happen it all cases but it is a possibility. I personally wouldn't even attempt to add guineas unless you got 6- 8 plus. If you do wish to add some guineas i would suggest getting keets. This should give you a better likely hood of bonding with chickens if brooded together.

4. Beth K.

Nov 22, 2011
    The Funny Farm
    Hmm, sounds like my plan may be doomed to failure. Most of my chickens are real softies (my Dad calls 'em cream puffs) so cantankerous guineas would probably be bad for them. The chickens should be sufficient tick control.

Thanks!

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Its no problem. If would still like them I would vote for.the white ones. I dont know why but they seem to be more peaceful.

6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I let one of my hens hatch some guinea eggs and now the guineas won't leave the chickens.

7. Beth K.

Nov 22, 2011
    The Funny Farm
    Hmm, if one of my Buff Orps goes broody maybe I'll get her some white Guinea eggs. [​IMG] Guineas raised by chickens might act more "chickenly." Or not.

This could turn out interestingly. [​IMG]

8. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    I've been reading about this topic today in the guinea threads. There are many that have both. I'm starting a 2nd small flock next spring and have decided to add a few (probably 6-8) guineas. I'll raise them together as babies and they should be fine. At least from what I've read other people do/did. Don't be too afraid to try..... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by