Introducing Hens...Aggressive Roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Southside Farm, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Southside Farm

Southside Farm New Egg

Jan 20, 2009
    BC
    I am introducing four new hens to my existing flock of seven hens and one rooster. I am wondering if it is normal for my rooster to be fairly aggressive to the new hens? I have always heard that the rooster in the flock will just step aside or even protect the new hens but my rooster is the main aggressor. He hasn't hurt anyone but he will chase the new hens and peck at them. Is this normal dominance behavior or is he an overly aggressive rooster?? Thanks

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

From my experience with adding new hens to our existing flock, our two roosters did pick on the new girls a bit but it was just to show them/the new girls their place in the flock (as in establishing the pecking order). Our existing hens were much, much meaner to the new girls but everything settled back down after several days.

Hope this has been some help!

Dawn

3. Southside Farm

Southside Farm New Egg

Jan 20, 2009
    BC
    Thank you...that is very helpful. I have been wondering if my rooster is too aggressive and just wanted to make sure his behavior is normal. No one gets hurt so I guess they will sort it all out like you said.

Thank you for the welcome. I have been reading BYC for a while and learning a lot. It is a great resource for those of us new to chicken keeping and trying to figure it all out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by