Introducing Hens to new coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HenDaddyGV, Mar 14, 2013.

1. HenDaddyGV

HenDaddyGV Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    I just built a 2 story coop (pictured below) and just put 2 one year old hens into it. They went from being in a large flock (30+) and they don't seem to like the new digs. They also dont understand how to use the ladder to change floors. Any suggestions on helping them to be comfortable in their new home?

I also have some pullets that will be introduced to the coop in the future. Any suggestions on how to have a successful meet-and-greet with the current tenants is much appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They are afraid of change and will adjust in time. Treats (bribes) are an effective way to get them where you want, like up a new ladder.

If you are going to bring new birds in from outside, that's more complex. I'll give you a link to a good article about this.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

3. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    When I got my girls, they arrived at our home right around dusk. Poor things were ready for bed yet they were in a new place with a new coop they'd never seen. There was lot's of squawking going on, for sure!

I made a trail of scratch throughout the coop. Ran the scratch up the ladder and had it end next to the roost. They were hesitant but - when one started - they all followed. It was almost dark by the time they made it inside and they immediately hit the roost and went to bed. No problems after that.

Good luck!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I was wondering if there's enough head room in the ladder opening.

5. HenDaddyGV

Mar 10, 2013
    what is a good size for the ladder opening?

6. schmism

schmism Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    Peoria IL
    does your ramp/latter have cleats? does it have a solid floor? if i want my girls to go someplace.... out comes the scoop of scratch, they will go anywhere i want them then! the classic lay a trail trick you see in the cartoons, really does work with chickens.

7. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    My pop door is 12 x 12 in. and my girls are pretty big but my door goes out the side, not down through the floor. They still won't go up?

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You'd need to measure from the ramp up to the far edge of the opening, I would think you'd want it 16-18" for large fowl.
    Might not be an issue, just something that struck me as I looked at the pic...might just take them time to get used to the ramp as it is.

9. HenDaddyGV

Mar 10, 2013
    The scratch trick worked, they are using it with ease now, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by