Introducing hens to small flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by William1hens, Feb 15, 2015.

1. William1hens

William1hens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2014
    I have two black sex link hens and two barnyard mix Roos.Today I bought 1 New Hampshire red hen,1 light Sussex hen and 3 white silkie hens.Im wondering what is the best way to introduce them to the older hens and Roos.I'm not too worried about the Sussex,it's the silkies.I know they have a tendency to be overpowering and feisty but will the Roos kill them.I have an extra coop for the silkies in the patch they are in now if they will use it.
    P.S the new hens are being kept in a little run for the minute as seen in the picture below so they can all see each other but I would rather not keep them in it for long as it is quite small.
    P.P.S the older hens are picking on the New Hampshire especially because they have never seen a brown chicken before.Any advice there?
    Thanks[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. jaredthefox

jaredthefox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Marshall Texas
    This is how I introduce different chickens into my flock. Some people wont agree with it but it works for me. Recently I had a lady giving away 4 silkie roosters. I took all four of them. I had In a small pen an ameraucana rooster a white leghorn rooster an ameraucana X barred rock rooster and a Rhode Island red rooster. I keep all the roosters in one pen except for the rooster I want to fertilize my next batch of eggs. Than I take the desired roo out and put him with the girls.

When I we t to introduce the 4 silkie roosters into my rooster flock I put the 4 silkies in a pen for 3 days. Allowed them to realize this is home. I let the silkies out into my yard to free range and than I let out my other 4 roosters along with my other 22 hens and my main rooster ( barred rock ) George. They all fussed and squabbled for a bit as all chickens do. But eventually it got to the normal every day affairs. I put my girls and George in the coop for the night and left the other 8 roosters out for a few days.

After a few days I put all 8 roosters back into my rooster pen. All has been fine for 2 weeks now. They have their squabbles. But nobody gets injured or anything like that.

I don't know your individual layout but I hope this helps some.

3. jaredthefox

jaredthefox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Marshall Texas
    I do it the same way whether it's a hen or a rooster. Oh! I forgot to mention that when I put the roosters in the pen it was at night time when they were all roosting. Can't catch them in the day time. Plus it helps the intro a lot.

4. jmprnfl

jmprnfl Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2014
    We tend to do a slight variation of what jaredthefox does. We have a small pen next to our other chickens that we can keep new members in for a couple of days then at bedtime on day 2 we release the new ones into the flock. By this time they are already use to them and there usually isn't too many problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by