Introducing Hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by clairehuxtable, Aug 16, 2014.

1. clairehuxtable

clairehuxtable Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2014
    We have four Easter Egger hens living in a coop and run in the backyard. They are about fifteen weeks old. We also have four chickens living inside that are eight weeks old. The ones living inside are two polish and two Rhode Island reds. We were wondering when it would be safe to introduce the two groups and what would be the best way to do so.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think you could probably introduce the two groups now. Once chicks get to be 8-12 weeks, they can usually defend themselves, or at least stay away well enough from older birds. I would recommend letting the two groups meets in as large a place as possible, like an outdoor pen. There will probably be some fighting/pecking, but most hen fights like this don't result in bloodshed, or last very long. The young ones may separate themselves from the older birds the best they can for a while until they feel comfortable around them.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    While they will not just be friends right away, it will probably work if you have a good set up as in enough space and some hideouts.

What is in your run? Set up some pallets, lean a pallet against a wall, provide some hideouts. Chickens need to be able to get out of sight, out of mind of each other. Multiple roosts inside the run, multiple levels that a chicken can get under or on top of gives more space and a bit of privacy. Makes for much happier birds. Also, multiple feeders and waterers for a couple of months.

Mrs K

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  4. clairehuxtable

May 3, 2014
    Our run is about twenty to twenty five feet long and six to seven feet wide. The coop is elevated so the hens like to hide under there but I have a couple pallets we can add. I'll also make sure to add more feeders and waterers. Today we will just introduce them and see how it goes but we'll bring the chick's back inside after. The Rhode Island reds are pretty big so I'm not too worried about them.

5. clairehuxtable

May 3, 2014
    We added a pallet leaning against the side of one wall. The two groups are mostly ignoring each other.

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    that is a good sign!

7. ericaruth19

ericaruth19 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2014
    michigan
    I have a question, I have been reading all the new flock intro to get more information but not really finding it. My friend is new to chickens as am I. Hers(6 star...) started laying last week mine are four weeks. When I ordered mine she wanted an EE so she took her home today. Im worried about her safety being so young. Should this be a huge concern?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  8. clairehuxtable

May 3, 2014
    At first one of the easter Eggers was lightly pecking at the crest of one of the Polish but I think she was just curious because she stopped and hasn't done it.
    The hens used to like hiding under the coop in the shade but now that we put the pallet out there all the older hens are under that and the babies are under the coop.

9. clairehuxtable

May 3, 2014
    Thank you for all the advice everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by