Introducing incubated duckling with mama duck.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckmama3658, Apr 29, 2017.

1. duckmama3658

duckmama3658 Just Hatched

Mar 1, 2017
    I actually was able to incubate an older egg my female layed before her mates death. She laid one the day after my drake died, but only one made it to full hatch. It is now about 4 weeks old and I just started to introduce the two in small increments. Daisy wants nothing to do with her baby. I figured there would be some kind of motherly instinct but nope. I put her in the pen I made for the duckling for a brief moment and she started to chase it. I'm nervous because I plan on keeping them together in her coop and releasing the duckling in our pond with her eventually. When and how can I make this happen naturally and smoothly? Also should I still get her a drake for a new mate? I'm not sure the sex of the duckling yet or if that will make a difference with getting her a juvenile drake for a mate. Since it's a natural pond the drake seemed to chase off wild ducks etc. However now that Duffy passed she seems to get along with any wild ones that fly in. I just want them to be happy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    I would wait a few more weeks before getting another drake, especially if you don't know the gender of the juvenile duck. As for the hen chasing the young duck, this is normal behavior. In some cases, they get along after a little fighting, but other times, they just fight for fun. I would just keep doing what you're doing. I don't see what could go wrong.

1 person likes this.
  3. duckmama3658

Mar 1, 2017

4. duckmama3658

Mar 1, 2017
    Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by