1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing incubator-hatched ducklings to mom and her babies

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ayerock, May 3, 2016.

1. ayerock

ayerock New Egg

May 3, 2016
    We have 1momma duck with at least 5babies naturally hatched, 2 days old. We've got another 4 ducklings hatched from incubator, 5 days old. Is it safe to add incubator babies to the ones with momma? If so, when and how?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. I know it can work for chickens, but i know nothing about ducks, I'm afraid. I'd suggest posting your question on the "Duck" forum, as the experts there will be best placed to advise you.

Good luck

CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would watch her closely to see that she truly accepts them. I don't know anything about ducks. If a chicken hen accepts them she will tuck them in underneath her to keep them warm. Maybe you should ask on the duck thread first.

4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    At 5 days old, I would be leery of trying that... ducks are much more finicky about adopting... the ducklings tend to imprint quickly so they may not recognize her as a momma... and if they don't stop crying she may attack them in frustration...

Ducks seem to communicate a lot more with their brood before they hatch, bonding while still in shell... if they were just hatched, I might try it... but I know my Calls have wanted to try to take in other ducklings, but it got rather frantic when the older ones kept freaking out...

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by