Introducing issues ...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cornish lowen, Jul 26, 2013.

1. cornish lowen

cornish lowen In the Brooder

May 11, 2013
    Cornwall
    I have 4 birds 26 weeks old and have just obtained two 18 week old silver laced Wyandottes , I did as instructed and placed the new birds in the coop for quite a few hours and then slowly opened the door and they came bounding out , my existing chickens are very unhappy about the newbies and I can't get them to integrate at all , there isn't much aggression it's just the noise and I'm beginning to worry my neighbours are going to lose it with me , they don't mind the general noise but half eleven at night it's even grating on my nerves , is there any advice on trying to get them used to each other or do I give up and have the new girls in a separate coop/separate area ?

2. javamilk99

javamilk99 In the Brooder

Jul 8, 2012
    Princess Anne, MD
    1. Did you quarantine them first? New chickens should, ideally, be kept totally apart for about a month, if possible, to make sure there are no disease surprises.
    2. After quarantine, put them in a sectioned off area for a week or so, so the chickens can see each other but not touch.
    3. After that, you may be able to let them all out together (supervised), or put them in the coop at night after the others go to bed, so the older chickens wake up with them.

3. cornish lowen

cornish lowen In the Brooder

May 11, 2013
    Cornwall
    They all came from the same source so I wasn't worried about quarantine ? X I have had them on order from the same chicken breeder x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: