1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

introducing large breed (Buff Orpington Chicks) 2 months old

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicken-FarmerJ, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Chicken-FarmerJ

Chicken-FarmerJ New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    Hawthorne,Florida
    I have a question? I have to different flocks , 1 are standard breeds consisting of R.Reds, Barred Rocks, Silver laced Wyndotte. The 2nd Flock are my bantams which I have both silver n gold sebrights, mil'fluers, buff brahams, and Welsummers. Now the question is this, I have just recently purchased 4 Buff Orpington chicks n the are now 2 1/2 months old and the brooder coop is getting slightly cramped, would I be able to move them to the Bantams coop/Run since I have plenty of room until they're big enough to go into the standard size chickens coop/run??? What should I do????? Any help would be greatful, Thanx..

2. That might be stressful for them to change coops that much. If you dont want them to go with the LF then find a bigger brooder and wait for afew weeks. They should be able to go out when they are 8 - 10 weeks old.
    Good Luck!

3. Chicken-FarmerJ

Chicken-FarmerJ New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    Hawthorne,Florida
    OK thank you for the advice, I was thinking of expanding my brooder coop anyways to make it more effective. For the larger species of fowl and since you said10 weeks I'm pretty sure they'll be big enough to go into my standard size chicken coop. I know the buff orpingtons are going to be several Lbs bigger than my reg. Sized chickens since I guess they're considered ''extra large fowl'' Thank you for your tip...
    -Josh

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    At two and a half months (ten weeks) they really could start the introduction to the LF coop. If you can make a separate area in the coop/run for them for two weeks. They should then have had enough time to get to know each other and they should be big enough to get away if you have the space for them. If you don't have the room for them to get away easily, then wait till they are at least nearly the same size.

5. Chicken-FarmerJ

Chicken-FarmerJ New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    Hawthorne,Florida
    Yes My coops are around 240 Square Feet Each! So I could try that and put in a seperator of some sort mabey make a make-shift one ! Thank you both for your advice! I just dont want to keep them "Cooped up" in the Brooder coop which is 4 feet by 6 feet and is off the ground about 4-5 feet somewhere in that range! Im not used to dealing with such large breeds and also im getting later this month a couple Americauna's aka E.E.'s from a local breeder and will need the brooder coop for these 6 hatchlings!
    -J

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by